- This is to bring under your kind notice that Gujarat was a Second state to introduce an MDM Scheme in 1984 with all students in the Class I to VIII in Government and Govt. Aided schools were covered under the scheme. Uncooked food grains were being supplied to the students.
- Thereafter, from 3rd June 2006, 1st NGO Stri Shakti was introduced to create the facility of the Centralized Kitchen to serve cooked meal to these students as per the guidelines of the scheme. The aim and objective of the program has been to achieve universalization of elementary education be enhancing enrollment, retention and attendance and improving the nutritional status and quality of education.
- In the year 2008,Nayak Foundation was started in Mumbai and In the year 2011 Nayak Foundation was started and to set up a centralized kitchen in Navsari. In the year 2007, The Akshaya Patra Foundation (TAPF)was invited as a second NGO to set up a centralized kitchen in Gandhinagar. At present three NGO namely Stri Shakti, Akshaya Patra Foundation & Nayak Foundation are serving cooked food under the MDM Scheme from their centralized kitchen in 7 districts, 3253 schools, and feeding 4,92,762 beneficiaries.
||Beneficiary in Lakhs
Corporations of Ahmedabad (W), Surat and Vadodara
Districts of Gandhinagar (3 blocks) Ahmedabad rural (1 block),
Vadodara (3 blocks)
||Corporations of Ahmedabad (E) ; Rajkot and Valsad District (4 blocks)
|Proposals for Bhavnagar and Jamnagar Corporation is under process
- Kitchen follows ISO 22000:2005 standards .
- Registered under Factory act and compliance as per FSSAI guidelines, comply to other licenses and permission as per the requirement.
- Vaccination and regular health check up of all food handlers are ensured by the Foundation.
- Kitchen has houses of full-fledged sweet, namkeen section, bakery section which would be able to provide additional food stuff to the benefit of school children.
- The kitchen runs on Steam Generating Boilers with Capacity of 2000kgs, 7 Stage rice cleaning machines , Roti Making Machines with Capacity of 40,000 rotis/hour, Rice and Dal Silos, cold room, STP and RO Plants.
- All equipments & utensils used for cooking are sanitized every day before usage by steam.
- Distribution of food to the schools through custom built vehicles and SS 304 (Food Grade) vessels to maintain hygiene and the temperature of the cooked food. All vehicles are installed with a GPS system to track vehicle movement and on time delivery.
- Vegetable cutting through high capacity machine and high capacity vegetable washer and chlorine washing is ensured for vegetables.
- In-house food lab for testing the quality of prepared food, water as well as raw materials.
- Best storage practices adopted along with racking and batching systems.
- Reputed pest control agencies are doing Pest Controls.
- Seven stage Rice Cleaning Machine & De-stoner machine are installed for the cleaning of Rice & pulses .
- The Kitchen is working under 24 hours CCTV surveillance .
- On daily basis water testing kit is used to ensure the standard of ISO 10500 before using water for cooking.
- Three stage quality inspection and procedures are followed, i.e. Incoming, in process & finished goods (cooked food) inspection.
- Contingency and product recall procedures are adopted by the organization.
- The foundation also provides regular health & hygiene training to the students, Helpers at school level.
Other Benefits of that centralized kitchen brings into schools
- More hygienic food/ Centralized lab testing.
- High Nutritious value- Steam based cooking.
- Uniformity of meal in all schools.
- Sparing of two rooms in each school- (kitchen and store room).
- Spare premises will be used for other academic activities.
- Saving on account of fuel.
- Prevention of likely hazards like fire, food poisoning etc.
- Prevention of likely Kitchen accident, i.e. Children safety
- Sparing of time of teacher deployed from MDM duty.
The concern above is also being addressed by handing over the MDM activity to the NGO/ food supply partners who take care of the whole MDM activities of all the schools and ensure hot wholesome, nutritious food is being provided with proper quantity and in the right time on a daily basis..